The Media Manager is a new role that will be responsible for planning, developing and implementing marketing strategies, communications and public relations activities, both external and internal to support our rapidly expanding operations – in particular our #RunningDry campaign. In addition, the successful applicant will be responsible for promoting our messaging through the full range of media channels in China and overseas. You will report directly to the CEO and will form part of our senior management team. Together with the CEO, Campaign Director & Logistics Manager, you will ensure all elements of the #RunningDry campaign, events and activities are fully supported with appropriate media and communications to fully leverage our messages.
We are looking for an individual with creative, strategic and analytical skills who has demonstrated experience in dealing with the media and has a commitment to supporting an organization setting out to change the world. You should be passionate about what you do, and able to provide the type of leadership on media, communications and public relations we need to help us build our online and offline community.
As the Media Manager, you should possess extremely strong design, creative, communication and people management skills, and have a demonstrated ability to manage in a fast moving, high pressure, dynamic environment.
The position is available immediately for a period of one year with the intention to renew given the right candidate.
This is an exciting role with the potential for travel. We are looking for a dynamic person with a demonstrated desire to make a difference. Location is flexible, and given the nature of the media, evening and weekend work will be required. The role requires the candidate to have native English communication skills.
If this is you, please send your resume, together with a cover letter in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org. If available, please include links to samples of your written work.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Working with the Campaign Director, develop and implement media strategies that support the objectives of the #RunningDry campaign.
- Develop and distribute releases to the full range of media outlets including national, and local online and offline TV, radio and print and proactively seek media opportunities that support the organization’s and campaign objectives.
- Evaluate and report on the reach and impact of media activities through regular media monitoring.
- Research and author articles for the Thirst website, Mina’s website and other social media sites, blogs, newsletters and other media outlets to help promote and support the goals and objectives of #RunningDry campaign
- Create and maintain media contact lists, liaise with individuals and media outlets and develop and manage relationships with key media partners including outlets, PR agencies and contractors.
- Regularly pitch editorial features and news about the #RunningDry campaign
- Develop, maintain and implement a strategy regarding the acquisition of media, and placement of any audio visual or other advertisements
- Assess and report on the reach and success of any advertising, including dynamically managing such placement.
- Coordinate the development, production and distribution of audio-visual materials (TV & Radio CSAs), web-based advertisements and other broadcast media materials.
- Develop and manage relationships with potential advertising providers.
3) Marketing and Communications
- Liaise with existing celebrity spokespeople (or their managers) and assist in the recruitment of new talent.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations campaign that support #RunningDry.
- Ensure all #RunningDry marketing, communications and public relations internally and externally are properly coordinated and managed.
- Develop and implement a Branding and Messaging document that articulates #RunningDry desired image and position, and ensure that these are consistently implemented throughout the campaign and communicated appropriately internally and externally.
- Supervise the direction, design, production and distribution of all #RunningDry publications to ensure consistency with the Branding and Messaging document and across the #RunningDry campaign.
- Coordinate the appearance of all #RunningDry print and electronic materials such as letterhead, use of logo, brochures etc.
- Support campaign and organization spokespeople through the development of media messaging, briefing notes and act as a media liaison.
- Ensure appropriate branding and messaging is implemented on site during the #RunningDry expedition.
- Coordinate with the Campaign Director and Logistics Manager to identify, coordinate and manage any press conferences, group runs, and any “stunts” both in the leadup to and during the #RunningDry campaign.
3) Social Media and Website
- In consultation with the Campaign Director, oversee the development and running of campaign launch and media sites.
- Supervise and manage #RunningDry on both the Thirst and Mina’s website, in addition to any other websites developed for specific events and/or campaigns.
- Create and implement, together with the Campaign Director and advisors, a strategic plan for increasing our community of followers to 1 million
- In collaboration with the Campaign Director, oversee the development of organizational communications.
4) Budgeting and Management
- Develop and manage short and long term plans and budgets for marketing/communications/public relations programs and its activities, monitoring and reporting on progress.
- Identify and manage any third-party relationships with media organisations including agencies, individuals and others supplied by other stakeholders (including sponsors)
- Manage relationships with the media teams of any sponsors and other stakeholders to ensure uniformity of message and ensure all feedback, concerns & issues are met.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the media team and directly supervise the work of any volunteers and interns working in the team.
- Any other duties as directed by Management.
Desired Skills and Experience
Essential Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a highly complex, stressful environment.
- Experience leading and managing teams of people and operate within tight timeframes.
- Able to function and operate independently.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Planning and organizing
- Solid communication skills
- Ability to work in a team.
- Extremely strong negotiation skills
- Ability to adapt to different environments
Desirable skills and experience
- A degree, preferably in journalism
- Management experience in media, communications, PR or a related field
- Existing relationships with major media and media outlets
- An understanding of water and water related issues
- Experience in the non-profit environment